HSL “Indispensable”

(from Dr. Adam Jacks, Assistant Professor, Speech and Hearing Sciences):

You have been very helpful in advocating for the faculty to retain the journals critical to our research mission. Most of the time, I am able to find what I need through online journals, but I also frequently use the library’s physical journals, especially for older journal articles or books. In particular, some of the references needed for my current grant application were from studies completed in the 1950s from journals that I thought might be obscure or difficult  to find, but the library had these easily accessible to me.

For my teaching, the library also has been indispensable. My undergraduate Speech Science course meets for a lab in one of the library classrooms in the middle of the Spring semester. In the two years I have taught this course, this part of the course is a favorite of the students. It allows them to get in-depth supervised experience in acoustic measurement of speech. I don’t think this particular experience would be possible without the availability of the library classrooms.

Thanks so much for all you do for us, and keep up the good work!

Adam Jacks, Ph.D., CCC-SLP
Assistant Professor
Division of Speech and Hearing Sciences